Digital x-rays are used for the additional safety and accuracy they provide. Although traditional x-rays are relatively safe, digital x-rays use 80% to 90% less radiation than film x-rays and are preferred by most patients.
? Did you know?
- Digital x-rays use less radiation – The #1 reason for using digital x-rays is that they use much less radiation than film x-rays: 80% to 90% less! Although traditional x-rays are relatively safe, digital x-rays are much preferred for most patients who may well need x-rays on a regular basis throughout their lifetime.
- Better quality pictures – Once a digital x-ray image is on the computer screen, it can not only be enlarged to better view the area of concern, but be instantly manipulated in other ways (contrast, color, and brightness) to effect a better diagnosis by changing the size, contrast, color, and brightness.
- Less “chair time” – There is no waiting for x-ray film to be developed in the office dark room and hung up to dry. Just like digital photography, the x-ray image is instantly available on our computer screen.
- Better dental records – Again, just like digital photography, digital images can be enlarged for easier viewing, stored in computer files for easy access, transferred to another specialist, or easily compared between new and older images.
- No hazardous waste disposal necessary – Digital dental x-rays use no chemicals to develop film and, therefore, no disposal problems for these harsh chemicals.